Meet our precious little girl!

Mia Elaine Whitlock arrived Monday 3-18-2013 at 4:01p.m. She was 7lbs 10oz and 19 inches long.

Her birth story:
We decided with the doctor that it was best to go ahead and induce Sunday night since she was already 4 days past her due date. So we went in Sunday night at 10. I was actually really calm on the way to the hospital, Todd-not so much :-). I seriously thought he might throw up or pass out on the way there. We got checked in and went up to our room. There were 3 nurses waiting on us to get things started. I was actually having contractions every 2-3 minutes when i got there. I had no clue, so they had to call my doctor to make sure he still wanted to start the induction- he did since i wasn't feeling the contractions. It all went so quickly-everything was done and lights were out by 10:45. They gave me a pill to get things started at around 11. I didn't get much sleep because every time I turned on my side, they couldn't pick up the baby's heartbeat. Therefore, I had to lay on my back pretty much the entire night! I got the second pill around 3 and started to feel some contractions. They weren't terrible, but definitely enough to keep me from sleeping. Also, I couldn't go to the bathroom for 2 hours after each pill, I thought my bladder might burst each time :-/. They started the pitocin at 7 a.m. I pretty much immediately started feeling stronger contractions! They bumped up the pitocin every 30 minutes (I dreaded those times)! At about 9:30 a.m. (Pitocin was up to 30 at this point), I decided to go ahead and get the epidural (best decision ever)! I was trying to wait until my doctor broke my water, but he took too long :-) I told the guy doing my epidural that I would buy him a car, just give me the drugs :-). I jumped a little on the numbing shot, but didn't feel the epidural at all! Then, all was well! Seriously, I have no clue how anybody would make it through labor with pitocin without an epidural. I told Todd that I think I would have passed out! I was sweating from the pain! Then we just hung out for a little while eating my ice chips! At 1 the doctor came in and broke my water- I was 5cm. At 1:50, my nurse checked me and I was at 8cm. I was so shocked that I was already at 8. The rest is a little bit of a blur. When I got to 9cm, Mia was sitting on a nerve on my right side blocking the epidural :-(. So from 9cm to when I started pushing, I felt every contraction on my right side. It was painful!!!!!! They came in and gave me a bolus of the epidural, but it didn't help. They said they could give me morphine or Demerol, but I was too close to pushing. So I just held the bed rails and suffered through it. Thank goodness it didn't last long! They started getting things set up and at 3:30, I started pushing. Feeling the contractions definitely helped me push. I think pushing was the part I was most scared about. I just kept thinking, what if I can't push her out. I had already made it to the end, and to not be able to push her out would have been devastating! Also, I was scared I wasn't going to know how to push. Well, I had no problem with the pushing. It was hard though, it takes all your muscles and all your energy! I was definitely thinking I was going to bust a blood vessel, in my face! Todd stood up by my head and just told me i was doing a great job (he was also crying when i was pushing, so sweet). They told me she had hair when they could see her head! Also, i had 2 students in with me the whole day, it was their first day in labor and delivery. They were crying when she was born, so sweet. I couldn't wait to see her! At 4:01, our sweet little girl made her arrival. I can't put into words how I felt. All I kept saying was oh my gosh. It was very overwhelming! She was gorgeous and she was mine :-). I couldn't wait to hold her, I didn't care what got on me! She was grey when she was born so they let me hold her for about a minute, then they took her to suction her out and make sure she was ok. They had a hard time getting her to cry, she was just bright eyed and looking around. Later when she got her bath, she let them know that she could cry though :-). I don't remember a whole lot about the evening, it was all so overwhelming. She was gorgeous and I loved her more than I can explain!





2 comments:

Kelsey said...

She is so beautiful!

Post a Comment